Tuesday, November 7, 2017

My Bookshelf: High as the Heavens by Kate Breslin

A British nurse in WWI German-occupied Brussels, Evelyn Marche spends her days at the hospital and her nights working at a café…or so it seems. Eve’s most carefully guarded secret is that she also spends her nights carrying out dangerous missions as a spy for a Belgian resistance group.
When a plane crashes as she’s en route to a rendezvous, Eve is the first to reach the downed plane and is shocked to recognize the badly injured pilot as British RFC Captain Simon Forrester. She risks her life to conceal him from the Germans, but as the secrets between them grow and the danger mounts, can they still hope to make it out of Belgium alive?

 
High as the Heavens is Kate Breslin’s most recent stand-alone novel, and is actually a book I read a couple of months ago but am just now getting around to reviewing. It’s not that I didn’t love this book; in fact, I really, really enjoyed it, but it’s just that for some reason this summer I did a terrible job of reviewing what I read. I’ve found a few books that I read but somehow forgot to review, so for the next few weeks I’m going to try to catch up. Anyway, I’ve been a really big fan of Kate’s ever since I first read For Such a Time, so I’m always super excited when she releases a new book. Although all of her books so far are set during the World Wars, I felt like High as the Heavens was very different from her other two somehow. Not in a bad way, of course, but it just felt like it had a uniqueness to it. Either way, it is still full of talented writing and Kate’s impeccable way of taking you right back to the World War she’s writing of.
Evelyn Marche is seriously probably the strongest heroine I have ever encountered. As a spy, and a nurse, who has seen what she has seen, she has an astounding amount of strength to carry on the way that she does. The more I learned of her story, the more compassion I felt for her, and the more I wanted everything to work out for her. Besides that, the whole storyline altogether, from her past to when we catch up with her at the beginning of this novel, is so completely enthralling and unexpected, and unlike anything else I have ever read before.
All in all, I really, really loved this book, and I am so glad I stumbled upon Kate’s writing back when For Such a Time came out. I have always really loved anything World War related, so I am always excited every time Kate comes out with a new book, and this has definitely been another one to add to my all-time favorites list. I cannot imagine giving this book anything other than all five bookshelves, and I am so excited to read more books from Kate.
Happy reading!




I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Kate Breslin and Bethany House Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment